Monday, October 30, 2006

Wednesday, October 18, 2006
Quake Me Up Before You Go Go.

The earth moved for me last Saturday morning. At approx 6.30am we were woken up to our very first earthquake. Fortunately it wasn't 'The Big One', in fact for a while I wasn't sure if it wasn't just Cath squeezing one out on the floor above. 5.3 on the Richter scale I'm told. The city wreckers are 7s or 8s. The tremors were just on the right side of exciting though I did wonder at what point it might become strong enough for it to stop feeling amusing and start panicking. The experience raised the interesting point that none of us had a clue what to do in the event of a major one. Our keepers having neglected to provide us with any guidance in the face of this (lets face it pretty high) probability. Shoes by the bed seems to be the key. Oh and dried food. I'll be reet, I've got loads of seaweed in.
If that wasn't exciting enough we experienced the tail end of a typhoon too. I could tell this by the old ladies in rocking chairs and small dogs (''Toto'') flying past me as I was on my way to work. Also by the large number of umbrella carcases cast aside on the road. It rained for forty hours and forty minutes the like of which I've never seen even in Manchester. We went to the pub with plastic bags in our shoes a la Glastonbury 1998. The next day it was too hot to wear a t-shirt. Kerazy.

We Don't Need No Education.
Had my first every go on Karaoke last weekend (cut to scene with the mad professor in his castle rearing back in horror as lightning splits the sky. ''It lives''). Oh yes. Everyone's reticent at first but a few beers in, there we were blasting out 'Eye of the Tiger' like pro's. I was careful not to solo and to stick to mainly rap tunes or backing 'vocals' (tip; never do anything by The Sugar Hill Gang, they don't take a breath). There surely is no finer sight than a group of English instructors squeeking "hey teacher, leave those kids alone". High point of the night was a splendid Walk Like An Egyptian and an innovative call-and-response style version of Kung Fu Fighting and yes, everybody was kung fu fighting (in front of a room full of Japanese dinners). Those cats were certainly fast as lightning to tell us they were closing not long after. The bill was a little bit frightning too.

Next up: Shrine-ing and Dining.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home