Tuesday, October 24, 2006

And now a word from our sponsor...

Ha ha come back Steve Norman all is forgiven. We were expecting things to be a little more rigorous in the workplace but my lordy. 'Eastfence' (see I'm even scared to badmouth them on a private email) has some strict rules to say the least. No leaning on the desk whilst teaching. No public eating or smoking, formal dress at all times. No leaving the campus. And instant dismissal for bringing the company into disrepute through drunkenmasterness (actually that clause wasnt in anyone elses contract...) . A far cry from the Head of Kids Dept falling down the metro stairs onto....some kids after last years xmas bash. Initial training was the wierdest thing I've ever sat through (and that includes that GM where some of the news items was pooey stains on the bathroom towels and the existence of the new tissue holder in the kitchen.

In a brief Sliding Doors style moment I saw my life as it could have gone. A bit like the end of Flash Gordon where the two worlds nearly colide, the other me squinted back from the front seat of her Ford Probe in the car park of the Wellin Garden City conference center, looked unfooled by my poor imitation of somebody professional in my cheap Zara suit, and then was gone.

Mangement style seems to comprise the most jarring of U.S and Japanese management style. There we sat feeling like a bunch of badly suited insurance salesmen as our compere (we'll call him 'Tard') kicked things off gently by informing us we were being 'watched'. Nice people skills 'Tard. Perhaps you meant to say 'observed' or 'evaluated' but what the hell, now we're all feeling relaxed, lets get aquainted.
Big Brother is watching us and I don't mean a load of chavs in a prefab. Lacking internet at my campus I have to sign in and out every day with, get this, GPS SATALITE PHONE. They know where I am!!!! Think on all you Cambridge whingers trying to sneak in half an hour late to seminars. Wait till Steve hears about this. Not to mention when I send him the algebra style student assesment forms. Oh no, hang on I could get sacked for that.

Next time; electronically tagging your workers. And keeping their families hostage.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home