Monday, October 30, 2006

Livin' in a box (I'm a livin' in a cardboard box).
I suppose a word about where I'm residing would be appropriate now. My totally ridiculous address is: LEOPALACE, PRA TERRIER 207, 1-546-2, Maebaranishi, Funabashi City, Chiba (somebody say cheeeeba, everybody say....), 274-0825, Tokyo. Great eh? Japanese addresses have no street names, only numbers. Ever the Japanese find it confusing. Fly on the wall at that city planning meeting would have been interesting, 'I've got a great idea. Let's only use numbers, no, really, it'll be easy....'.
The 'Palace' as it is referred to by the 22 teachers (it's a bit like living in a hall of residence) is indeed that. A palace. For terriers. A family of small foxhounds could live quite nicely in the compact and bijou single room with bathroomkitchenwardrobestoragespace crammed into one end. The bed is located up some step ladders on a shelf above all that lot. Bag End eat your heart out. I wonder now if my advocation of the dog as the most noble of God's creatures has now come back to haunt me. Perhaps I have in fact died and now live in a kennel.
Seriously though, I am loving living on my own. Walking around not fully clothed. Opening the curtains to behold....the next set of Leopalaces under construction next door. Closing the curtains again. By the way, even Japanese builders work at the speed of snails who can't be arsed. Perhaps I have hit early middle age and this is preparation for the time when I can truly no longer stomach the company of other beings and retire to a life of spinsterhood. With my terriers.

It has to be said there isn't a lot 'fun' about Funabashi. The local town center does a nice line in old lady clothing, some top sushi and a 100 yen strore (the chav in all of has taken the 'pound shop' to our hearts and filled our spartan homes with poorly manufactured products laden with toxic chemicals and designed to fall apart in three months) but not much else. It's a grim 90 minute train ride into central Tokyo and the nearest 'cool' fun although we did find some top quality fun on our own doorstep of which more later. However since I have landed with the Caths every night is a fun night and we want not for good company.

Next time; Working for the man. Mr Oodigowa to be precise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home